Small Batch Vanilla Cupcake Recipe





I absolutely love cupcakes (and cake in general) but whenever I make a whole cake or a large batch of cupcakes they never all get eaten and go to waste! I hate wasting food, so a small batch is perfect! This recipe is found on http://chefmommy-brandao.blogspot.com/2013/02/small-batch-vanilla-cupcakes-makes-4.html but I adjusted the recipe slightly which I will annotate.
Vanilla Cupcakes (yields 4 cupcakes) *I find this actually makes 5 for me, but my muffin tin is also small)
2 egg whites
4 Tbs. sugar
4 Tbs. butter, melted and cooled
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup  cake flour (can sub AP flour if needed)
1/2 heaping tsp. of baking powder
2 pinches of salt
3 Tbs. milk
1.  Line a cupcake pan with 4 cupcake liners.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.  In large bowl, whisk together the egg whites and sugar.   Stir in the melted butter and vanilla.

3.  All at once, stir in the flour, baking powder and salt.  Keep stirring until everything is smooth and well-combined.  Add milk and stir until incorporated into the batter. *this is also where you add any food coloring*

3.   Fill each cupcake liner with batter.  I love my large cookie scoop for this. If you don’t have one, simply divide the batter evenly between the 4 cupcakes. *I find 3 T of batter per cake is good and be aware this is a thin batter*
4.  Bake  12-14 minutes.  * I find it takes more like 18-20 minutes for my cakes* The cupcake should pass the toothpick test.  Cool Completely.

Vanilla Buttercream (frosting for 4 Cupcakes)
4 Tbs. butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2-3 tsp. heavy cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1.  Beat or stir briskly the butter, milk and vanilla. *this never incorporates fully for me; it does later when you add the powdered sugar*
2.  On low, or slowly, add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time.  Incorporate your powdered sugar before adding the next installment.  Add more milk if needed.
3.  Pipe onto cupcakes and eat! *I topped mine with toffee pieces*

*If you want to makes the icing chocolate simple add ¼ c. of cocoa powder; you do not need to lessen the powdered sugar*

*This also makes a light icing; lighter than most buttercreams*

Comments

Popular Posts