Recipe: Welsh cakes


This recipe was adapted from “The Book of Afternoon Tea” by Lesley Mackley
A Welsh cake is very similar to a scone; the ingredients are almost exactly the same. The major difference is that while a scone is baked in an oven, a Welsh cake is cooked on a griddle. At first I was scared that the cake wouldn’t cook through or wouldn’t rise, but it did. The griddle or pan must be quite warm when the cakes are put on; even so your first batch may take longer than the others. Be patient; they will cook.  This recipe call for currants and this recipe was my first ever use of the dried fruits. To me a dried currant is a cross between a raisin and a dried cranberry. I’d imagine that either raisins, cranberries or another small dried fruit (like dried blueberries) would also work. These were very popular with my family.
Ingredients:
2 cups of flour + 3 tsp baking powder + ½ tsp salt mixed together (original recipe called for 2c. self-rising flour, use if you have it. I never do.)
Pinch of salt
½ c. cold unsalted butter
2/3 c. granulated sugar + extra for dusting
2/3 c. dried currants
1 beaten egg
1 T. milk (optional)
Directions:
In a bowl mix together flour mixture and salt, then cut in butter until it is the texture of breadcrumbs.
Add sugar and currants.
Add the beaten egg and milk if necessary to make soft dough. It should not be sticky. Roll out on a floured board or counter to ¼ inch thickness.
Cut out with a 2 and ½ inch cookie cutter. The recipe says it makes 16, but I made more than 20.
Now, heat up a griddle or pan that is greased (I used PAM). Cook cakes. The original recipe says over low heat for 3 minutes each side until golden brown. I found on my stove top I had to turn the temperature up to a medium-high heat to cook them for the same amount to time.
Cook the cakes in batches and after each batch sprinkles with a little granulates sugar until all cakes are cooked. And again, I had no problems with un-risen cakes (though they won’t rise that much) or undone centers.


I hope you enjoy this recipe! 

Comments

Popular Posts